Thursday, December 28, 2006

Oh, Camellia!



I was walking through my favorite nursery recently and I stumbled upon a blooming Camellia. I had no idea there was a variety that bloomed in the winter. I first discovered Camellia in the South while on vacation. I was told it would only survive in the southern region so I didn't bother checking for it at my local nursery. Needless to say I was thrilled when I discovered I could add it to my garden.

Camellia's are an evergreen shrub that produce the most delicate, showy flowers. It's leathery foliage is nothing to dismiss, it's just as stunning as the flowers. There are many varieties, but my favorite is the Winter Rose. It has very soft pinkish flowers that look similar to a rose. It develops a double bloom that sheds its peddles once it's finished blooming. The Winter Rose variety blooms from September through December. It will grow to about 6ft. The wonderful news is the Camellia will survive through winters as far north as zone 6b. It's hard to believe a flower that appears so delicate will survive a harsh winter. For Christmas I received a gift certificate to that same nursery where I first discovered the winter blooming Camellia. I bet you can guess what I'll be buying with it. To learn more about all the different varieties of Camellia's visit the American Camellia Society. http://www.camellias-acs.com/

1 comment:

Roger R. said...

No doubt it will do well in our "new" zone, especially if it's not too exposed.