Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Daffodils peaking through the earth

I couldn't believe my eyes when I gazed out the window of my house yesterday. My daffodils are poking their heads through the earth as if it were spring. My daffodils have always been an indicator that spring is on its way. But I know better since it's only January. With all the warm temperatures we have been experiencing in MD the spring bloomers are getting confused. The big question is what will happen to the bulbs when the temperature drops to what is normal for January. It is important that the temperature drops gradually so the plants and shrubs can go into their normal state of dormancy. If we have an extreme drop in temperature and the plants have not had time to go in to a state of dormancy the cells can become destroyed. Unfortunately it is too soon to know whether this erratic winter weather will cause serious damage to early rising plants. Although personally I am loving the warm temperatures, I know how important the cold temperature is to the well being of plants. So instead of the rain dance at my house, we're doing the "bring on the snow" dance for many reasons.

No comments: